6 May, 2012
Low FODMAP Saffron Spaghetti Cabonara
This luxurious creamy carbonara style dish is naturally low in FODMAPs when made with wheat free, gluten free pasta. The saffron gives it a glowing yellow colour and distictive flavour but could be missed out if you didn’t happen to have any in the cupboard!
- 350g gluten free, wheat free spaghetti
- sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp garlic infused oil
- large pinch saffron strands
- 150g smoked bacon cooked and cut into strips
- 200ml double cream
- 50g freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 2 egg yolks
- 50g extra freshly grated Parsmesan cheese
- Cook the spaghetti in a large saucepan of boiling water until al dente, drain and set aside.
- While the pasta is cooking, place the saffron strands in a cup with 2tbsp boiling water and leave to soak for a few minutes.
- Place the saffron, soaking water, bacon strips, cream, garlic infused oil and Parmesan into a pan and gently warm through stirring all the time.
- Once the sauce begins to bubble remove from the heat and beat in the egg yolks.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the drained pasta to the sauce and stir in well.
- Serve in bowls with a garnish of extra Parmesan.