19 February, 2016
Low FODMAP Pilau Rice
Pilau rice seasoning in the shops generally contains onion and garlic powder but this allium free version gives a touch of warmth and colour without the FODMAPs
For the pilau rice seasoning:
1 tsp salt
1/4 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp mild chilli powder
1/4 tsp black pepper
1/4 tsp tumeric
1/8 tsp asafoetida powder
For the rice (to serve 3-4):
1 mug basmatti rice
1 1/5 mugs cold water
- Add all of the spice ingredients to a pestle and mortar and grind until the salt has broken down. Store in an air-tight jar for up to a month.
- Place the rice and cold water in a pan with a tight fitting lid and sprinkle 1/2 – 1 tsp of spice mix over the rice over the surface. Replace the lid and put on the heat.
- Once the water has begun to boil, reduce the heat the the lowest possible setting and allow to simmer for 2-3 minutes.
- Turn off the heat and leave the pan on the stove, with the lid on, covered in a towel of dish cloth for insulation (be careful not to set this on fire) for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes use a fork to fluff the rice and spice mix together, replace the lid and towel and leave for a further 5 minutes.
- Serve immediately. It is advised that cooked rice is not stored and reheated due to the high risk of food poisoning.