20 January, 2016
Low FODMAP Masala Curry Sauce
This delicious curry sauce is hugely versatile hot or cold and freezes very well (minus the cream) to create convenient low FODMAP meals when time is tight. Just add the cream when heating the sauce after defrosting.
The asafoetida powder provides the onion punch and the dish can be made spicier with an extra dash of chilli.
Makes curry sauce to serve 4 as a main meal
- 1tsp asafoetida powder (what is this?)
- 1tbsp rapeseed oil
- 3tsp garam masala
- 2tsp turmeric
- 1tsp ground coriander
- 1tsp ground cumin
- 2 tins chopped tomatoes
- 1tbsp garlic oil
- 1 finely chopped Birdseye chilli
- 1.5tsp sugar
- 2tbsp single cream
- Salt and pepper to season
- Heat the rapeseed oil in a heavy bottomed pan and add the asafoetida, garam masala, turmeric, coriander and cumin.
- Cook the spices gently for 2-3 minutes until they begin to smell aromatic, keeping them moving with a spoon to prevent them from burning.
- Add the chopped tomatoes, chilli, sugar, salt, pepper and garlic oil and bring to a simmer.
- Simmer for 15 to 20 minutes uncovered stirring occasionally.
- Take the sauce off the heat and stand to one side to cool a little.
- Use a stick blender (or transfer into a jug blender if necessary) and blitz to a smooth sauce.
- Simmer for 20 minutes uncovered, stirring occasionally. If the sauce looks like it is getting a little thick add a couple of tablespoons of water.
- After 20minutes take off the heat. If planning to freeze, cool the suace quickly and freze in suitable portion sizes. If using imediately stir in the cream, taste and adjust the seasoning as required.