20 January, 2016
Low FODMAP Easy Tomato Pasta Sauce
This quick and easy sauce is a great option after a hard day at work can even be warmed up with a bit of chilli if spice is your thing. The anchovy paste gives a great savoury note without any of the fishy-ness you might expect and the garlic infused oil and chives provide great flavour without the FODMAPs.
Equally this sauce makes a fantastic base for other pasta dishes such as pasta bakes or can be made more substantial with the addition of chicken, prawns or even minced beef.
Cooked and stored in a closed jar this sauce will last for 2-3 days safely in the fridge or can be made in advance and frozen in portions for up to 3 months for super-convenient low FODMAP meals.
2 x 400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 tbsp balsamic vinegar
1 tsp anchovy paste (what is this?)
4 tsbp chopped chives (grow you own)
1 tbsp tomato puree
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tsp garlic infused oil
1/4 tsp ground nutmeg
salt and pepper to taste
- Add the chopped tomatoes to a pan and bring to a gentle simmer.
- Add the balsamic vinegar, anchovy paste, tomato puree, oregano, nutmeg and 3/4 of the chives and stir until combined.
- Simmer gently for 15-20 minutes without a lid to reduce and thicken a little.
- Add the rest of the chives and garlic infused oil, stir and remove from the heat.
- Either serve immediately with cooked gluten free pasta and a sprinkle of your favourite cheese or cool quickly and store as advised above.